Whether you’re laying down fresh sod for the first time or you’re repairing a piece damaged grass, new sod requires special attention when it comes to watering. Follow these quick and easy watering tips for new sod to help it integrate into your lawn seamlessly and grow to be green, healthy, and thick.
• Watering in the morning minimizes evaporation and maximizes water retention. While this is a good practice for your entire lawn, it’s especially important for freshly installed sod.
• Water immediately. You should thoroughly soak your new sod within 30 minutes of installing it.
• Water deeply. Unlike watering the rest of your lawn, you’ll want to water deeply and thoroughly. The soil underneath your sod should be moist 4 to 6 inches deep.
• Keep the soil moist. After the initial soaking of your freshly installed sod, lightly water it twice a day to keep it moist. This will encourage the development of healthy and robust root system.
• Keep an eye on the weather. Hot, dry, or windy weather means that you’ll need to water your fresh sod more frequently throughout the day for the best results.
Yardly is an on demand snow removal and lawn mowing service. Simply visit our website, download our app, or call 780-919-3518 and get a free quote for your property today!